A Picky Eater's Diet

Striving to make "diet" food taste good!

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Recipe #1 Hunter's Chicken With Roasted Vegetables

Original Recipe
Ingredients:
4 plum tomatoes,cut into eighths
1 large onion, sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
3 teaspoons olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 (3 1/2 lb) chicken, skin and wings discarded, cut into 6 pieces
6 garlic cloves, sliced
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free lower-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 teaspoons dried marjoram

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees; spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
2. Combine the tomatoes, onion, bell peppers, 2 tsp of oil, and 1/4 tsp of salt in bowl. Arrange veggies on the baking sheet and roast, tosing occasionally, until the onion browns, about 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tsp oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Sprinkle the chicken with the remaining salt and cook until browned, about 4 min on each side. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add the broth and marjoram; reduce the heat and simmer, covered, turning the chicken occasionally, until cooked through, about 25 minutes.
4. Transfer the chicken to a platter and keep warm. Increase the heat to high and bring the sauce to a boil; cook until very slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the veggies and serves over the chicken.

Picky Eater's Recipe
I didn't change too much on this recipe. My husband and I both like peppers and onions and I cook with them often. I was worried about the tomatoes...my husband usually won't eat them, but after you roast them in the oven, they are well disguised amongst the other yummy veggies! (Atleast I thought so!)

I did use boneless, skinless chicken breast pieces instead of the whole chicken. I normally have this on hand in my freezer. I am also partial to using wet garlic anytime a recipe calls for garlic cloves. When I roasted my veggies, I laid down a layer of foil instead of spraying the pan with nonstick spray...this made for easy clean up. Also, it took closer to 45 minutes for the veggies to be ready.

The Verdict
Me: Loved it!
Husband: Yuck!

**Recipe from WeightWatchers "From Pantry to Plate"

No comments:

Post a Comment